See also People that died at the age of 71
- 09-February-2002 : Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon, Queen Elizabeth's sister dies in hospital after suffering a stroke.
- 11-February-1990 : Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison, near Cape Town, South Africa, after 27 years behind bars.
- 10-February-1990 : South African President F.W. de Klerk announces that Nelson Mandela will be released the next day.
- 02-February-1990 : Apartheid: In South Africa, President F.W. de Klerk allows the African National Congress to legally function again and promises to free Nelson Mandela.
- 16-May-1988 : A report by U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop states that the addictive properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine.
- 18-March-1982 : Mary Whitehouse's private prosecution of ''The Romans in Britain'' collapses.
- 26-January-1966 : Harold Holt becomes Prime Minister of Australia when Robert Menzies retires.
- 22-August-1962 : A failed assassination attempt is made against French President Charles De Gaulle.
- 02-July-1962 : Charles de Gaulle accepts Algerian independence; France recognizes it the next day.
- 05-February-1962 : French President Charles de Gaulle calls for Algeria to be granted independence.