See also People that died at the age of 72
- 01-January-1877 : Queen Victoria is proclaimed ''Empress of India'' by the ''Royal Titles Act 1876'', introduced by Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Benjamin Disraeli.
- 08-December-1864 : ''Syllabus errorum'': Pope Pius IX condemns theological liberalism as an error and claims for the supremacy of Roman Catholic Church authority over the civil society. He also condemns rationalism and socialism.
- 29-January-1850 : Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the U.S. Congress.
- 04-June-1615 : Forces under the shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu take Osaka Castle in Japan, beginning a period of peace which lasts nearly 250 years. Bands of Christian samurai support Ieyasu's enemies at the Battle of Osaka.
- 30-January-1592 : Pope Clement VIII (born Ippolito Aldobrandini) succeeds Pope Innocent IX, who died one month earlier, as the 231st pope.
- 29-October-1591 : Pope Innocent IX succeeds Pope Gregory XIV as the 230th pope.
- 26-March-1552 : Guru Amar Das becomes the Third Sikh Guru.
- 27-September-1540 : The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) is approved by Pope Paul III, in his bull ''Regimini Militantis Ecclesiae''.
- 22-September-1503 : Pope Pius III (Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini) succeeds Pope Alexander VI as the 215th pope, but dies on October 18.