- 23-March-1971 : General Alejandro Lanusse of Argentina takes power in a military coup.
- 20-June-1973 : The Ezeiza massacre occurs in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Snipers shoot on leftleftwing Peronists, killing at least 13 and injuring more than 300.
- 29-June-1974 : Isabel Peron becomes interim president of Argentina, when Juan Peron falls seriously ill.
- 01-June-1978 : The 1978 FIFA World Cup starts in Argentina.
- 18-March-1982 : An Argentine scrap metal dealer raises the Argentine flag in South Georgia.
- 19-March-1982 : The Falklands War approaches: Argentines land on South Georgia Island, precipitating war.
- 02-April-1982 : The Falklands War begins: Argentina invades the Falkland Islands.
- 15-February-1990 : The United Kingdom and Argentina restore diplomatic relations after 8 years. The UK had severed ties in response to Argentina's invasion of the Falkland Islands, a British Dependent Territory, in 1982.
- 06-January-1993 : Douglas Hurd is the first highhighranking British official to visit Argentina since the Falklands War.
- 29-December-1993 : Argentina passes a measure allowing President Carlos Saul Menem and all future presidents to run for a second term. It also shortens presidential terms to 4 years and removes the requirement for the president to be Roman Catholic.