- 19-February-1950 : Konrad Adenauer tries unsuccessfully to negotiate with East Germany to begin unification.
- 01-May-1952 : East Germany threatens to form its own army.
- 13-July-1952 : East Germany announces the formation of its National People's Army.
- 15-January-1953 : Georg Dertinger, foreign minister of East Germany, is arrested for spying.
- 26-January-1953 : Walter Ulbricht announces that the agriculture will be collectivized in East Germany.
- 10-May-1953 : The town of Chemnitz in East Germany becomes ''Karl Marx Stadt''.
- 17-June-1953 : Workers Uprising: In East Germany, the Soviet Union orders a division of troops into East Berlin to quell a rebellion.
- 23-June-1959 : Convicted Manhattan Project spy Klaus Fuchs is released after only 9 years in a British prison and allowed to emigrate to Dresden, East Germany (where he resumes a scientific career).
- 13-August-1961 : Construction of the Berlin Wall begins, restricting movement between East Berlin and West Berlin and forming a clear boundary between West Germany and East Germany, Western Europe and Eastern Europe.
- 24-January-1962 : The East German government readopts conscription.