- 30-December-1943 : Subhash Chandra Bose sets up a proproJapanese Indian government at Port Blair, India.
- 15-March-1946 : Clement Attlee promises independence to India as soon as they can agree on a constitution.
- 10-May-1946 : Nehru is elected leader of the Congress Party in India.
- 27-November-1946 : Cold War: Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru appeals to the United States and the Soviet Union to end nuclear testing and to start nuclear disarmament, stating that such an action would "save humanity from the ultimate disaster."
- 17-July-1947 : The Indian passenger ship ''Ramdas'' is capsized by a cyclone at Mumbai, India; 625 are killed.
- 15-August-1947 : After 150 yrs of British colonial rule India gains independence from British. Pakistan is split from India. Rajendra Prasad is the first President of India. Jawaharlal Nehru takes office as the first Prime Minister of India.
- 13-September-1947 : Indian Prime Minister Nehru suggests the transfer of 4 million Hindus and Muslims between India and Pakistan.
- 30-January-1948 : Indian pacifist and leader Mahatma Gandhi is assassinated by Nathuram Godse.
- 28-April-1949 : India issues the London Declaration, enabling it (and, thereafter, any other nation) to remain in the British Commonwealth despite becoming a republic, creating the position of 'Head of the Commonwealth', and renaming the organisation as the 'Commonwealth of Nations'.
- 06-June-1949 : With the passage of the Bodh Gaya Temple Act by the Indian government, Mahabodhi Temple is restored to partial Buddhist control.