- 07-January-1919 : Estonian Freedom War: The Soviet Army meets resistance from Estonian forces.
- 09-March-1923 : Vladimir Lenin suffers his third stroke, which renders him bedridden and unable to speak; consequently he retires his position as Chairman of the Soviet government.
- 10-July-1923 : Large hailstones kill 23 in Rostow, Soviet Union.
- 23-January-1924 : The Soviet Union officially declares that Lenin died January 21.
- 01-February-1924 : The United Kingdom recognizes the Soviet Union.
- 20-July-1924 : The Soviet sports newspaper ''Sovetskiy Sport'' is founded.
- 28-August-1924 : Georgia rises against the Soviet Union in an abortive rebellion, in which several thousands die.
- 24-April-1926 : Treaty of Berlin: Germany and the Soviet Union each pledge neutrality in the event of an attack on the other by a third party for the next 5 years.
- 18-January-1929 : Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Union.
- 11-March-1931 : The ''Ready for Labour and Defence of the USSR'' programme, abbreviated as GTO, is introduced in the Soviet Union.