- 11-March-1708 : Queen Anne withholds Royal Assent from the Scottish Militia Bill, the last time a British monarch vetoes legislation.
- 21-September-1745 : Battle of Prestonpans: British Government forces are defeated.
- 17-January-1746 : Battle of Falkirk: British Government forces are defeated by Jacobite forces.
- 09-July-1755 : French and Indian War Braddock Expedition: British troops and colonial militiamen are ambushed and suffer a devastating defeat inflicted by French and Indian forces. During the battle, British General Edward Braddock is mortally wounded. Colonel George Washington survives.
- 03-January-1777 : American Revolution Battle of Princeton: American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis.
- 16-August-1777 : American Revolution Battle of Bennington: British forces are defeated by American troops.
- 04-October-1777 : American Revolution Battle of Germantown: Troops under George Washington are repelled by British troops under Sir William Howe.
- 17-October-1777 : American RevolutionRevolution Battle of Saratoga: British General John Burgoyne surrenders to the American troops.
- 28-June-1778 : American Revolutionary War Battle of Monmouth: George Washington defeats British general Sir Henry Clinton near Monmouth, New Jersey.
- 18-June-1782 : Battle of the Saintes: A British fleet under Admiral Sir George Rodney defeats a French fleet under the Comte de Grasse in the West Indies.
In Switzerland, Anna Goldi is sentenced to death for witchcraft (the last legal witchcraft sentence).