- 23-July-1829 : In the United States, William Burt obtains the first patent for a writing mechanism (see typewriter).
- 25-February-1836 : Samuel Colt receives an American patent for the Colt revolver, the first revolving barrel multishot firearm.
- 26-January-1837 : Michigan is the 26th state admitted to the United States of America.
- 09-August-1842 : The Webster-Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United StatesStatesCanada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- 22-February-1847 : Mexican-American War The Battle of Buena Vista: 5,000 American troops under General Zachary Taylor use their superiority in artillery to drive off 15,000 Mexican troops under Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, defeating the Mexicans the next day.
- 09-March-1847 : Mexican-American War: United States forces under General Winfield Scott invade Mexico near Veracruz.
- 29-March-1847 : Mexican-American War: United States forces led by General Winfield Scott take Veracruz after a siege.
- 01-July-1847 : The United States issues its first postage stamps.
- 23-January-1849 : Elizabeth Blackwell is awarded her M.D. by the Medical Institute of Geneva, New York, thus becoming the United States' first woman doctor.
- 28-February-1849 : Regular steamboat service from the west to the east coast of the United States begins with the arrival of the SS ''California'' in San Francisco Bay. The ''California'' leaves New York Harbor on October 6, 1848, rounds Cape Horn at the tip of South America, and arrives at San Francisco, California after the 4 month 21 day journey.