- 13-October-1792 : Foundation of Washington, DC: The cornerstone of the United States Executive Mansion, known as the White House after 1818, is laid.
- 27-February-1801 : Washington, DC is placed under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress.
- 24-August-1814 : War of 1812: British troops occupy Washington, DC, setting numerous buildings on fire, including the Capitol.
- 15-December-1836 : The U.S. Patent Office (USPTO) burns in Washington, DC.
- 03-February-1857 : The National Deaf Mute College (later renamed Gallaudet University) is established in Washington, DC, becoming the first school for the advanced education of the deaf.
- 29-July-1864 : American Civil War: Confederate spy Belle Boyd is arrested by Union troops and detained at the Old Capitol Prison in Washington, DC.
- 13-January-1888 : In Washington, DC, the National Geographic Society is founded.
- 22-January-1889 : ''Columbia Phonograph'' is formed in Washington, DC.
- 02-October-1889 : In Washington, DC, the first International Conference of American States begins.
- 11-October-1890 : In Washington, DC, the Daughters of the American Revolution is founded.